Thursday, January 10, 2013

Active Isolated Stretching

I'm in the middle of reading a few food-related health books right now. One of them is Scott Jurek's "Eat & Run." I am still in the beginning bits of the book when I came across Active Isolated Stretching. Has anyone tried this?

Apparently something unique about this method is that you only need to hold the stretch for 2 seconds at a time. This is in some direct contrast to the usual deep, long holds of Bikram Yoga, where I get my stretching fix normally.

Jurek gives some examples of stretches that I am looking forward to trying out. On page 34 he gives some instruction for stretching the hamstring.
1. Lie flat on your back
2. Loop a belt or robe around the ball of one foot, holding the rope in your hands
3. Keep leg straight and life roped leg
4. Kepp lifting until you can feel it in the back of your thigh
5. Hold for 2 seconds
6. Relax and lower down leg
7. Repeat 5 - 10 times

I'm looking forward to trying this one, because a PT friend of mine has told me that I have tight hammies. As the method proclaims, I imagine that this would be a safer stretching method than longer holds; however, I don't think it will replace my monthly Bikram class. Good to have a daily option though.

No comments:

Post a Comment