The first full week of January of 2014 my husband and I began a new diet and challenge with the Eat to Live diet. I had hear about Fr. Fuhrman's research and outcomes from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where I am enrolled in a certification program to become a health coach. I then forgot about it for almost 8 months when I came across the book again on my honeymoon. When we returned home I bought the book, and we have now been on the diet for 2 weeks.
Dr. Fuhrman has a 6-week diet plan as a transition into the "life plan." I have found it to be one of the simplest and clearest set of guidelines out of any diet I have ever tried. Here are the basic guidelines:
- Eat at least 1 cup of beans / day
- Eat at least 1 lb. of green leafy vegetables / day
- Eat at least 4 fruits / day
- Limit starchy veggies or grains to 1 cup / day
- Limit nuts to 2 ounces / day
- Limit caffeine to 1 cup of coffee / day or less
- no oils, sugar, processed foods, salt additives, alcohol
While it has been difficult as times over the last two weeks, suck as meeting friends at a bar that where in town, it has also been rewarding. To date I have lost 6 lbs. over the last 2 weeks. My skin also looks cleaner and I just generally feel good. My birthday is 1 week shy of the 6 weeks, so I will be breaking the diet a week early, but I can already see a future eating this way for both my immediate goals, and for long term health.
I would encourage everyone to jump in and take this 6-week challenge!